Let's talk about work work work work work work

There’s been a lot of talk recently about the exploding cryptocurrency market. It’s impossible to bring up Ethereum or Bitcoin around the right group of people without someone becoming wide-eyed and giving a price quote while they say something along the lines of “Can you believe it’s that high!?,” “Isn’t that ridiculous!?,” or, my favorite, “This whole bubble is going to crash at any moment. Sell now.”

Right, thanks for that advice.

But amidst all of this chatter about the price of the crypto assets themselves, one upside to all of this development, which is very much ongoing, is the job market related to cryptocurrencies. According to a recent CoinDesk article, crypto jobs have increased by over 200% in the past few months alone, with plenty more growth on the horizon as the popularity of blockchain technology continues to grow through 2018 and beyond. These jobs include a variety of tasks, all the way from the hard-skilled Solidity coders, to the journalists and analysts who are covering the progress as it happens.

In addition to the immense growth of crypto related jobs, CoinDesk also offers an interesting perspective on how crypto jobs are often different from more traditional employment arrangement. People who take interest in a tokenized sharing economy also seem to have a different image of what it means to be “employed.” A lot of work is being done remotely or on a “freelance” basis; companies hire out tasks as they need them done, and compensate their employees following different schemes that combine a mix of fiat currencies, equity, and crypto. Many people would argue that this type of employment system encourages a much more efficient economy, but there remains something to be said for the traditional model that comes along a reliable salary with benefits. In my own case, I find the opportunity to do freelance work from anywhere in the world quite a wonderful opportunity to support myself on my own terms.

Have you benefited from the growth in crypto jobs? Do you think that the freelancer economy is generally a good thing or something to be cautious of? Leave your comments below!